Government College Chitral, founded in 1969, is a public sector educational institution run by the Higher Education Department of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. It offers two kinds of programmes i.e (a) Higher Secondary School Certificate and (b) BS 4 year undergraduate programme.
The College Library was started in a small room with a few hundred books and was shifted to its own building in 1976. It was meant to cater for the limited reading needs of teacher s and students of the college. But with the induction of BS programme in 2014, the library fell short of the growing needs of the programme, and needed improvement and expansion. Keeping in view these need the library went through major improvement like:
- Some 3000 books were added to the collection which were selected keeping in view the requirements of the BS programme.
- In 2017 the library was given excess to the HEC’s digital Library Facility.
- During the year 2018-19, the infrastructure of the Digital Library was completed with a cost of 3.0 million Rupees. It included fifteen computers, printers, scanners, and multimedia projector; all housed in a separate room especially renovated for this purpose. The room ahs been airconditioned and has got power back-up facility.
- More than 32000 e-books have been added to the library collection. The process of adding e-books will go on continuously.
- Catalogue of the Library has been automated and is online for the general public. Cloud facility for this purpose has been provided by Pakistan Scientific and Technological Information Centre (PASTIC).
- The library has been refurbished with replacing old cabinets with new ones. All old and rare books have been re-binded/ repaired to make their life longer.
The Library is fully capable to cater for the study and research needs of the College. It will become a model for other institutions and their libraries in the area. You are welcome to the library!